Watch: Documentary From Queer Filmmaker Highlights Corks Underground Techno Scene

0
Watch: Documentary From Queer Filmmaker Highlights Corks Underground Techno Scene

Summer 2023 sees the release of a new documentary film showcasing Cork's underground techno scene. Created by Keir filmmaker McClain Black, the film features the voices of several key figures in the crypt community, the group behind a new wave of terror in the rebel quarter.

The group began holding events in May and has since held illegal parties in churches, warehouses and other undisclosed locations.

The documentary is filmed in black and white and features interviews with DJ Jamie Behan, Melanie Higgins (MEJMI), David O'Neill (Doyler) and Keira. Cryptic editors also shared their thoughts, as Kiprian Valantovich, Raver.

The audience highlighted the difference between traditional club nights and underground techno nights and appreciated the inclusiveness of the arena. They also discuss misconceptions about raves and illegal drug use and outline measures to protect the public at these events.

The documentary moves between live interviews and undercover footage, as well as between local locations and the homes of the people involved. Photos and videos are by the aforementioned McLain Black, who donates much of his artistic talent to the community.

In an interview with Four/Four Magazine, they explained their motivation behind the project. “There are so many reasons why I wanted to do this that it's hard to pinpoint, but I met the former vice president when I was 15 or 16 years old. A documentary about the illegal ref scene in the UK and I find the medium very interesting.

"At that time I was just starting to get interested in techno music and I hadn't even started taking photography as a hobby. So I had no intention of making my own version, but for some reason that documentary stuck in my mind. Head," they continued.

"Four or five years later I moved from Galway to Cork and Cork, particularly the techno scene in Cork, was where I was able to change photography from where I was. I became passionately interested in what I was beginning to understand. It has paid off to the point where it's now my main source of income. If I ever wanted my first big project , a contributor to the Cork techno scene, I decided early on that it would be something to inspire Faoi Tallam, my first solo show and documentary.

"The Cork techno scene has meant so much to me and made me feel a sense of belonging, and I wanted to explain that world with this documentary," Black sums up.

Watch the full documentary highlighting Cork's underground techno scene below.

© 2023 GCN (Gay Community News). all rights reserved.

GCN has been a free, essential news service for Ireland's LGBTQ+ community since 1988.

During this global covid pandemic, we, like many other organizations, have had a major impact on business and production. This means a temporary suspension of our print publications and live broadcasts, so we need your help now to provide these community resources digitally.

GCN is a registered charity with a non-profit business model and we need your support. If you value free LGBTQ+ media in Ireland, you can help from €1.99 a month . Support free and independent LGBTQ+ media in Ireland.

13E | Full Functions | Netflix:

Tags:

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)