Texas Tech Graduate Flipped House To Help Pay For His Education

0
Texas Tech Graduate Flipped House To Help Pay For His Education

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - Rocky Alaniz will take the stage at Texas Tech on Saturday after receiving a financial boost to pay for his education.

He said it was his determination, his mentor, his mentor and his family that got him to this point.

Alanis was born and raised in the small town of Edinburg, Texas. Most people don't move to pursue opportunities elsewhere, he said.

“A teacher came up to me and said, 'You should try to take your education seriously, especially if you plan to go to college,'” Alaniz said.

Alanis bought books on money management and decided she wanted to go to college because she wanted more for her family.

“And I realized that all these books taught me about how to manage money and how to earn it,” Alaniz said. "But I still can't afford to go to university."

Alaniz is interested in real estate and is concerned about college costs. He contacted a real estate investor in his hometown and sought him out as a mentor. Alaniz began looking for real estate to increase his savings.

“I found a foreclosed house and they wanted $30,000 for the property,” Alaniz said. "We don't even have $30,000. My dad probably deserves it every year."

Alaniz took a risk and asked his parents for a high-interest loan. Although his father was unsure, his mother took a leap of faith.

“He believed in me and we closed on the property,” Alaniz said.

Alaniz got a job as a maid and used everything she earned to turn the house into a home.

"It was just me and some YouTube videos," he said. "I do plumbing, electrical, drywall and flooring."

In just three months, Alaniz sold the house to investors for $80,000. His hard work paid off.

"It was enough for me to come to Texas Tech and pay off all of my father's debts," he said.

Alaniz decided to continue his studies in the real estate sector. After just two and a half years at Texas Tech, he graduated with a 4.0 GPA. He said that this achievement for him is more than just a role.

"I was thinking, 'Wow, this is really happening and it's the first of its kind in my family,'" Alaniz said.

Alaniz will receive his Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance and Commercial Real Estate when he takes the stage on Saturday.

Interview with Jeff Bliss, a high school student who discovers his heart

Tags:

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)