Estella Boersma Is Ready To DJ With Gusto For Her Miami Debut

0
Estella Boersma Is Ready To DJ With Gusto For Her Miami Debut
Estella Boersma admits she wasn't born on the Dutch floor when Tiësto first emerged, nor did she write a highly regarded treatise on Rotterdam techno. But the music played by the Dutch artist will be different.

Since he started DJing three years ago, the 24-year-old has been spinning hard techno at breakneck speed with hints of deep material and ambient intros sampled from old NASA space missions.

Boersma's next pit stop takes him to foreign soil, the home of Little Haiti, where he will make his Miami debut on Friday, February 2. Expect him to play a high dynamic set with endless energy. However, Boersma isn't sure if it will be rubbery "hard techno" from start to finish or if the evening will give him a chance to experiment.

"I will feel it," he told The New Times from his home in Berlin. Wearing a long-sleeved black shirt and a cross pendant necklace accented by her spiky blonde thong, she casually smokes a cigarette while her cat purrs in the background. “When I play, I trust my instincts 99% of the time. I pre-select songs and go to record stores to see what I can't find online. I don't know if it's going to be a hard techno set, crazy upbeat or something slow and deep. »

If genetics are any indication, Boersma's love of rave runs in his veins. He noted that he and his parents had a strong connection to electronic music. "When I was a kid, we used to go to raves," she fondly recalls. "Sometimes I had to visit my grandparents at the weekend and was so sad I couldn't go. I always said I couldn't wait until I was 18 so I could go to the festival with them.
On a chance night at Amsterdam's famed Club de Scole, 18-year-old Boorsma finds himself caught up in the night's rhythms and has little desire to escape his fate. "It was the craziest night of my life. "I've never seen people so free," she says. "I didn't know music could make you dance for hours. And being there and enjoying people, that's true. It was much better."

As luck would have it, he lived with a friend who had an old-fashioned monitor system that he used to make techno music. "I thought, 'What is this?' Enterprise ship? » It seems so mysterious. »

After a quick tutorial from a friend on how to make music with analog devices, he immediately had to buy a synthesizer. He went to Bax Music Store in Amsterdam, bought a simple synthesizer and started making raw sounds. "I asked my friend: 'If you make music like that, should we go to the music store?'," he says.

But Boersma didn't go from bedroom DJ to global producer for TikTok views. His journey followed a move that seems to be fast becoming uncommon these days: he learned to produce and then started DJing . In February 2021, Boersma released his debut single "Multipass" from his debut EP Dance Tracks Vol. 32 released.

It took four years to rehearse, but the five-minute track sets the tone for his production genius, with breaks, trance-like synths and some snarling acid lines.

"I started discovering it on my own, and eventually the songs came together in such a great way that it was a lot of fun," says Boerma. "It was a great experience, but I started it for fun and fell in love with it."
It wasn't until 2019, when Boorsma was living in Brooklyn, that he started mixing tracks. Shortly before fixing up, he returned to Berlin to learn how to be a vinyl DJ. After the easing of pandemic restrictions, Boersma began playing stages like the Awakening summer festival in the Netherlands and releasing mixes for the popular techno radio station and YouTube channel Hör.

Participating in major techno festivals, Jumar already has a lot to offer, but her DJing is at the height of her modeling career. She began modeling at the age of 14, walking Vogue Italia , Paris and New York Fashion Weeks and appearing on the covers of publications for brands such as Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs.

Although Boersma isn't ready to give up modeling just yet, techno's appeal is even stronger these days. "It's an organic transition," Boersma says. "I really enjoy the creative freedom and freedom to express myself rather than going to a casting where it can be strict, which isn't necessarily a bad thing."

So far, Boerma's quick foray into electronic music hasn't attracted any criticism from DJ Modell. Of course, such thinking seems too limited. Boersma wears many hats: model, producer, anime enthusiast, illustrator.

"I really can't believe how fast time has gone because it's amazing," she says. "Everything starts to come together and sometimes I feel like my memories didn't happen or they weren't real, even though they were. It's like another life at another time. We're in a different universe, which is great. I think it's a beautiful feeling. "

Estella Boersma. Features Izlo, Spice Crime and Nougiert. Friday, Feb. 2, 10 p.m. at home, 6391 NW Second Ave., Miami; instagram.com/home.miami. Tickets range from $20.62 to $36.37 via dice.fm.

Tags:

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)