Vivo X90 Pro Review: 1Inch Sensor Matters

0
Vivo X90 Pro Review: 1Inch Sensor Matters

In the 2022 ranking of my favorite phones, I named the Vivo X90 Pro Plus third because the camera system is amazing and in my opinion the best. The only reason I didn't rate it higher than the Google Pixel 7 Pro or the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 is that the Vivo device is a China-only model and lacks some of the Google integrations that made the Pixel 7 Pro so appealing. . Use it. At the time, I thought I can only wait a month and the device will be released worldwide until the phone version is fully immersed in Google software.

Imagine my surprise when Vivo announced the X90 series to a global audience but left out the Pro Plus model. by name). It looks like the Global Pro model and looks like the Pro Plus, but it lacks the excellent Periscope 3.5x zoom lens and uses the lesser-known Dimensity 9200 chip (instead of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, which powers the Plus model).

But after using the X90 Pro on and off for a few weeks, I'm happy to report that much of what made the Pro Plus great is still here. You can't overdo it that much.

The best feature of the Vivo X90 Pro Plus is the main camera with a 1-inch Sony IMX989 sensor and this sensor is also available in the Pro model. It's the largest sensor on a smartphone camera today, and it's the largest sensor. It achieves a superior ability to capture light and image information, resulting in more detailed photos with greater dynamic range. The larger sensor also creates a shallow depth of field effect for a natural-looking blur, commonly known as bokeh.

This camera, combined with Vivo's proprietary V2 imaging chip, produces stunning images that have more depth and dynamic range than most smartphone photos. I think this is the best camera in the business right now. I really like Vivo's vintage filters, which give photos an analog film vibe.

Elsewhere, the faux leather that I love on the Pro Plus models is back here on the Pro, creating a unique texture that sets it apart from all the glass panels out there.

The MediaTek Dimensity chip, while technically not as powerful as Qualcomm's best chips, is still a very capable flagship processor. I had no issues during my testing, whether shooting 4K video, browsing a dozen apps, or playing games.

Battery life is also excellent, with a whopping 4,870mAh powering the phone for around 13-14 hours before dying. There is fast charging on board and a charger is included.

On the software side, the phone runs Android 13, with Vivo's FunTook OS on top. It's a global model that comes with Google apps pre-installed and all the basics like Google Assistant are here and can be accessed via voice or swipe (this isn't possible on the China-exclusive Pro Plus model).

All in all, the X90 Pro is a great smartphone, and if I hadn't been spoiled by its bigger, slightly better sibling, I'd be talking about it and calling it a phone of the year contender. But human nature works like that: I've seen high-end versions of these phones, so I'm always a little disappointed. Vivo refused to give us outside of China.

The price of the X90 Pro varies by region and so far I only have the Malaysian price which is MYR 4,999 or about US$1,100. It's a steep price for a non-Samsung or Apple branded phone, but those of us who have tested smartphone cameras know it's better than the best cameras from Samsung or Apple.

1 Inch Sensor Battle! Camera comparison of Vivo X90 Pro Plus and Xiaomi 12S Ultra

Tags:

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)